MTS Duplicate Sim | Lost Sim | Replace Sim

MTS Duplicate Sim | Lost Sim | Replace Sim

First block your current MTS phone number:

  • Please call MTS Customer Care for blocking the sim card .

Replacement of SIM Cards:
If you have permanently blocked your SIM or your SIM has been lost or stolen; you will need a new SIM card. Call Customer Care to get your account suspended and avoid unauthorized usage.

In case of lost or stolen SIM, you will also need to report the same to the Police and obtain an FIR. Then apply for a replacement SIM at an MTS authorised outlet.

To know more about your nearest authorised outlet, please call Customer Care at 155. A nominal fee would be charged for this replacement. Rest assured that your account balance and validity will be restored on to your new SIM card.

Submit Sim replacement form.